Mistakes You Should Avoid When Choosing a Business Name
Choosing the right business name can be a firm foundation to the business you plan to build. A company’s name is crucial to its success. Remember, your business’s name is the first image that you project to people, giving them an idea as to what type of business you are dealing with.
You must give enough thought to your company’s name because that is what you are going to use to identify your business. In short, your business name is your identity.
If you are having trouble with finding a good name for your business, you can start by watching out for some business name mistakes that you should be avoiding.
- Involving a lot of people in your decision. Sure you want to get great advice from the people you trust but if you involve too many people in finding a perfect business name, you’d end up getting a name that is too safe and uninteresting. You’ll also have to deal with people who are in it just for personal recognition. What you need to do is choose only a select few who have your best interests at heart. You can trust them to help you out in the best way they can and advice you from making bad decisions.
- Using plain words. The worst possible thing you can do when choosing a name is picking one that is too plain. Remember, with your name alone, you should be able to pique the interest of the people.
- Choosing an obscure name. You want your business name to be personal. No one can blame you for that. What they can blame you for is when you choose a name that is too obscure or too difficult to understand, no matter how important or personal it is to you.
- Turning your name into a cliché. You can either become one of trendy company names or you can turn your whole company into a cliché. Sometimes, there are words or names that have been so overused and overworked that choosing them would be a mistake.
- Refusing to change. When you choose a horrible name for your company, it would definitely be wrong not to change it.