Some Facts To Know About Palate Expanders
Jaw or palatal expanders are dental devices that are used to treat problems arising due to small or misshapen jaw. These devices are used to improve teeth alignment and design a beautiful smile. They are generally used to treat children and teens between 5 to 16 years.
Palatal expanders are also known as jaw expanders, orthodontic expanders and rapid palatal expanders. There are many types of palatal expanders to suit your condition and budget. Palatal expanders are custom made to fit inside the mouth snugly and put pressure on the upper jaw.
Some Facts about Palatal Expanders
- Palate expanders are orthodontic devices that are used to create a gap between the two jaw bones. The bones grow in to fill the gap and expand. This expansion changes the shape of the jaw and provides space for teeth.
- Palate expanders are used to treat conditions such as crowded teeth, missing teeth, open bite, cross bite, crooked teeth, and cleft palate and so on.
- Sometime palate expanders are used to correct the shape of the jaw before fixing dentures.
- The orthodontist conducts a complete examination of the mouth and takes measurements to custom build the jaw expanders.
- Jaw expanders snugly fit inside the mouth and apply pressure on the jaw bone.
- Palate expanders are attached to the upper jaw with the help of bands that are fastened to the upper teeth. The instrument has a screw that has to be turned daily as prescribed by your orthodontist. This applies pressure on the jaw and expands the bones.
- Palate expanders are available in many types such as hyrax expanders, super screw expanders, quad helix expanders and removable expanders.
- During the initial few days, some people may experience difficulty in eating and speaking.
- Expanders increase saliva generation in the mouth. Some people may experience excessive drooling during the adjustment phase.
- It is advisable to have liquid foods during the first few days and slowly start eating solid foods that are cut into small bite sized pieces.
- It is very important to maintain a clean and healthy mouth and clean the device regularly to avoid infections.
These are some of the facts about jaw expanders. Consult an experienced orthodontist for a complete evaluation of your mouth. The orthodontist will explain you about different types of expanders and which one is suitable for your case.